Monday, June 09, 2014

Regimented Life: Days 7 & 8

Saturday and Sunday.

On the one hand, my weekends will remain very loosely regimented, with large and broad times, filled out by a weekend to-do list.

This weekend was both a total bust and a total success. How is that??

I didn't make a list of things to do. On the other hand, I had a mental list of only two items: Cut the grass and spread the mulch.

I mowed the lawn Saturday, late morning, then went to work on cutting up some brush in the back yard. I completely ran out of muscle endurance in my legs right away and was very disappointed. How have I gotten so horribly out of shape that simply mowing the lawn wore me out?

Then I remembered: Friday was a "leg day" at the gym and I was beat. That explained it.

The remainder of Saturday included a short trip to the grocery store, some time in the pool and reading.

After a nice dinner -- red lentil curry and a steak -- I tried to watch hockey but fell asleep by 8 PM. I was truly spent...

Sunday was the opposite. My leg muscles now recovered, I buzzed through the mulch like a man on a mission. And with that mission accomplished, I relaxed ... floated around the pool, read two magazines cover to cover ("Men's Fitness" and "AARP" in case you're wondering), enjoyed a good cigar and waited for my dear bride to return from her weekend at the beach.

As far as "regimented", I failed. I didn't have a written To-Do List, and I failed to plan this coming week -- something I'll do Monday. I also did not achieve my Five Goals for last week and did not make up a Five Goals list for this week.

I'm scoring Saturday a -1 and Sunday a zero. That puts me at 1/8, or 12.5 percent. So far, this experiment is tilting away from living a highly-regimented life.

On the other hand, I've been faithful to my workouts at the gym and my diet has improved.

No comments: