Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Planning To Reduce Anxiety

Got home from work last evening and slipped into a terribly grouchy mood. I was "out of sorts". Things conspired against me, including:

1. I was getting the lawn spreader out of the shed, I was wearing flip flops, and saw a mouse. No problem, but I didn't really want a mouse running on my almost-bare feet. Gave me the heebie-jeebies.

2. Had to walk on my unfinished patio in order to get the automatic skimmer going in the pool.

3. Had to see the weeds that need pulled.

4. Had to see the patio sans fence.

5. Applied the lawn fertilizer in my flip flops (so dumb), resulting in grit in between my feet and flip flops. Uncomfortable.

6. When removing the automatic skimmer, I held the hose so that the water ran outside of the pool, it splashed in the sand (because my patio's not finished!) and splashed sand all over my feet and legs.

At this point, I was grumpy.

I mostly felt overwhelmed. Between the patio, fencing to be installed, and weeding and mulching to be done -- it's TOO MUCH! ARGH!

But this morning, I calmly wrote down the tasks, scheduled them over the next three weekends, and I feel MUCH better.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, sometimes a little planning can ease the mind. Laying out what needs to be done and when it will be done eliminates the "unknown", which is where anxiety hides.

Hope this helps someone.

No comments: