Friday, March 07, 2008

Responsibility

I am still basking in the wonderfulness that is Dr. Dyer's "The Power Of Intention". It's moving, life-changing and deeply thought-provoking.

Recently, I web surfed over to Amazon to read some reviews of Dr. Dyer's audiobook -- after the fact, if you will.

One reviewer pointed out that the book is not for the whole world, but rather only applicable to, say, we Americans who have it so good. How can a person born into slavery, for example, possibly be blamed for having the wrong intentions?

(Okay, not the best example on my part, but humor me.)

It got me to thinking -- I do that sometimes.

Let's say this Law Of Attraction, Power Of Intention, etc. etc. "stuff" does only "work" for already-set people. Face it; Americans have it pretty good, even the poorest (by world standards). It's easy for us to buy into Positive Thinking, Affirmations, and all that New Age stuff, because we generally have unlimited opportunity in this great country.

But what struck me is this: Since we have this advantage, and others do not, isn't it our responsibility to work, give and act so that they, too, can enjoy the abundance that is The Universe?

For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.
-- Luke 12:48

It's not enough to do well for yourself. It's not enough to pay your taxes. It's not enough to give money. If we really believe in success, we need to act, pray and give intention to those with less opportunity. It's hard to be self-centered when you consider how much is outside of your control. It's difficult to not care when you realize how much you are cared for.

I'm committing to do more. To act in a responsible way, with Intention. To pray. To give. To actually care.

Will you join me?

All The Best,

-- Don

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have this book on cd. I listen to in while driving up the mountain. It has always made me think and consider my intentions. Thank you for reminding me of it so that I may relisten to it again. ....How ya doin' Darlin'? ...I am in the midst of making the house a home and an organized one at that.....big ...daunting....but doable.....hugs and kisses....