Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Backing Up A Bit

I need to go back in time and lay a foundation for everyone.

(dislaimer: I cannot spell breath or breathe. I mean, which one where???)

Let's see ... two saturdays ago I used a power tool to sand part of my deck. It's an attachment that goes into my power drill and spins with the sanding "paddles" running perpendicular to the sanding surface.

It was not particularly difficult, but I need to use a lot of force. It vibrated like crazy. I could feel it all the way up my arm.

The next day my right shoulder -- specifically the trapezuis muscle -- hurt. A lot. As in I-wanna-die-now a lot. And when I tried to breathe it REALLY hurt. The pain would radiate down the entire right side of my torso, front and back. Hurt so bad that I was taking only shallow breaths. I couldn't get a deep breath because it hurt so bad. I mean, I was ABLE to get a deep breath, but it just hurt too bad to take one.

I spent the next few days taking mega does of Advil as the pain seemed to only get worse. On a scale of 1-10 it was a high nine (my rotator cuff injury a few years back was, in fact, worse; but this was bad. Bad.)

Friday morning, I left work after only 90 minutes and headed home. I couldn't work like this. I needed some rest.

So I got home and floated around the pool for a while to relax. Pain didn't go away, but I was at least able to relax. Hey, it's hot, I'm off work, and in the pool. Wouldn't YOU feel relaxed?? :)

Saturday morning I woke up and -- darn it -- now I can add sunburn on my chest to the now-even-worse shoulder pain. Sheesh ... ARGH!!

Only problem is, my wife points out that I have "sunburn" on my back, too. And it's "blotchy".

It's not sunburn; it's hives.

Okay. Now this makes sense. It's obviously pleurisy. Pain on inspiration, redness ... no brainer. I'm heading to the Emergency Room to get some antibiotics, then off to work.

Arrive at E/R around 9:15 AM. Packed. Sit, wait, hurt.

My wife, who lists "worrying" as a hobby, says she's coming in to be with me.

WHAT FOR? Sheesh! It's No Big Deal. Whatever.

Finally, by 1 PM I'm in back in E/R and an intern is explaining that I need a chest x-ray to confirm pleurisy. Bloodwork is also being done -- pretty standard stuff. Okay, cool ... I'll be outta here in a few hours with my meds.

X-Ray ... wait ... still in pain ... Hey! He's back!

"So ... pleurisy?"

"No, your lungs look great. It's just muscular pain. I'll give you a prescription for it and you'll be on your way".

Sweet! AWESOME!

As a matter of course -- standard stuff - the more experience doctor has to approve the diagnosis of the intern. Well this older fellow, a Doctor House-like guy, has other ideas. He wants a CAT scan of my lungs.

Hmmmm ... what??

Okay, a CAT scan is non-invasive and he's just ruling stuff out and I'm glad he'd rather err on the side of safety and next thing I know "We're going to have to keep you for a few days".

WHAT???? For a frickin' SORE MUSCLE?

"Your CAT scan shows a Pulminary Embolism".

(PE in their obscure language)

Oh boy ... and now the fun begins ...

All The Best,

-- Don

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

expect a call...dammit.....**kisses**

Don said...

Holy S**t

Don,
get better and get back to work!
Buzz

p.s., I'll even bring in more coffee!

Miles said...

Don't expect a call from me, and for sure no kisses! Seriously, get better and start doing all that stuff you thought about.

love,

Miles