Thursday, June 23, 2005

Go Deep, Not Cheap

You don't always get what you pay for.
 
Example: A Toyota is a much higher quality car than a Mercedes. Yeah yeah ... argue all you want about luxury and status ... but truth is, Toyota is better.
 
(Remarkably, near the bottom you find Volkswagen and Audi. So much for "German Engineering"...)
 
My point?
 
We recently purchased some what-we-thought-was-good ceiling paint from The Home Depot (pet peeve: it's _The_ Home Depot, not "Home Depot". ARGH!). The kind of ceiling paint that goes on purple and dries white.
 
Painted the ceiling in our being-remodeled bedroom. The result?
 
Crap.
 
We had to add another coat. This time we went to "Covers The World" Sherman-Williams and paid for good paint. Now?
 
Perfect.
 
Lesson learned. Save money when buying bottled water (tip: DON'T!) and spend the savings in good paint. Don't be afraid to go deep into the wallet now and then to get quality.
 
All The Best,
 
-- Don

1 comment:

..ak said...

I agree. People think I'm a scrooge for evaluating every purchase I make yet are suprised when I drop a couple thousand on a new laptop in a heartbeat.

What they don't see is I need to balance quality with availability. Yes I'll fret over a $200 air conditioner because, well, the specs are what I need but the quality is really poor. On the other hand, I bought a Thinkpad because I've seen it work and I know what I'm getting.

A better example: suits. I didn't want to spend $400 on a cheap suit so I kept waiting. Finally there was a sale and I got a great suit for $800. My friends were shocked. If only they knew that I would keep this suit for 10 years while they buy new ones every couple of year. Sheesh!