Sunday, May 08, 2005

Shooting

Wow ... it's been three weeks since I posted anything on my blog. Forgive me, but I've been hugely busy ... in a very good way.

So we just got back from participating in our newest hobby ... shooting. Trap and Sporting Clays to be more precise. Tonight, we went trap shooting at the Isaac Walton League near Red Lion.

It was a blast.

And what was really great was that our son, Ian, came along.

I was anxious to try the Charles Daly Sporting O&U 12 gauge with the 30-inch barrel. Brought along the same gun in a 28-inch barrel for Patti.

My friend, Matt, and his father (Chet) were the hosts. They're both accomplished and talented shooters.

I was up first, and I don't mind admitting that I'm not especially good at shooting clay birds. I did okay after a shaking start.

Then Patti took some shots. She's pretty good, although it took her a while to get into her groove.

Then -- wouldn't you know it -- Ian stepped up and smoked 'em.

(I was so proud of him)

Matt and Chet shot too, but it was almost ho-hum for them.

One fun thing was, we had a second shooter for backup. If your two shots missed a bird, the backup would try to take it out. That made for some interesting shooting, especially when the bird's falling rapidly and is about six feet off the ground.

Had a great time. Tried both guns. When pulling the guns up (to shooting position), the 30-inch just feels better, but I think I did better with the 28. Not really sure yet, so, I guess I'll have to go out one more time before I decide which one I want.

Patti's getting a 28-inch barrel model.

Trap is fun, but Sporting Clays is even more fun.

But either way, it's a great time. And shooting with your son and wife, while enjoying a good cigar ... wow ... what a great evening.

All The Best,

-- Don

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow, does sound like a great eveing..i spent my day in airports..hhmmm..did i mention that i sat IN the dang plane for an hour before we left....and no ac...was WARM!.....i wanna go along when ya go shooting....i will suck, but it would be fun..heheheh